Discussion:‘In Conversation: The Rule of Law, its meaning, understanding and significance’
The Allerhand Institute is pleased to invite you to participate in the upcoming interdisciplinary panel discussion entitled ‘In Conversation: The Rule of Law, its meaning, understanding and significance’ that will be accompanied by the inauguration of the 2016/17 edition of the ‘Allerhand Advocacy: law in the public interest’ project. The discussion will take place on the 6th of October 2016, at the Institute’s premises in Cracow, Plac Sikorskiego 2/7, 4:30PM local time.
The aim of the conference is to discuss and formulate the proper meaning of the concept of the rule of law, and to highlight its importance to the functioning of the legal system, economy and society of modern democracies. The expression ‘the rule of law’ has recently been heatedly debated, but it is doubtful whether all the people using have the same thing in mind. Indeed, the concept of the rule of law has seemingly been overused to the extent of becoming ambiguous and meaningless. Accordingly, how do we define the rule of law? How should we? What does it provide us with? What are the consequences of actions allegedly against the rule of law?
The confirmed speakers of the panel include:
1) Sir Jeffrey Jowell – Professor of Constitutional Law at University College London, the Founder Director of the Bingham Centre for the Rule of Law, the biggest centre for monitoring the rule of law in the world (virtual)
2) Piotr Tuleja – Justice of the Constitutional Tribunal, Professor of Constitutional Law at the Jagiellonian University
3) Mikołaj Barczentewicz – lecturer in Constitutional Law at Oxford University (virtual)
4) Wojciech Rogowski – Vice-President of the Allerhand Institute, expert at the National Bank of Poland and lecturer at the Warsaw School of Economics
5) Marek Tatała – Economist, Vice-President of the Civic Development Forum
6) Alexis Meusburger – coordinator of the Allerhand Advocacy project in the United States, Michigan State University College of Law
More information about the Allerhand Advocacy project can be found at: http://advocacy.allerhand.pl/en/home/
We look forward to seeing you during this inspiring debate!